Wednesday, October 06, 2004

So Near...

While reading Kaiser's post, my MP3 player randomly selected Lali Puna's "Together in Electric Dreams" as the soundtrack. It's a (rather loose) cover of an old Human League song, and, as per IDM/'bedroom electronica' rules, it's thoroughly mope-ified. And very, very pretty. I'm still something of sucker for chopped-up, glitchy vocals - when deployed 'correctly', I find them immensely moving, in a way that emphasises that impossibility of direct linguistic connection that Kaiser was talking about. Little blubs and burbles, word-fragments, half-syllables, all trying (and failing, tragically,) to communicate, to make meaning (it's just occured to me that maybe this has something to do with why I like that Bedingfield song so much, actually).

The song brings to mind someone's attempt at a definition of 'abstract' music I once read and quite liked - that the sounds you're hearing are actually abstracts of a piece that conceptually 'exists' somewhere else, in its entirety! Which is kinda analogous to what I think Kaiser was discussing: we can't relay our thoughts, our selves to another person (not with kind of satisfying fullness we might wish anyway), so we choose the bits (the "tokens") we think will do the best possible job in the world.

I didn't really want to talk about the song at all in the post, though. What "Electric Dreams" reminds me of (suggested as much, or more perhaps, by the title as the sounds) is something I read about when I was doing some private research into lucid dreaming, midway through last year (in retrospect, I think I might've been going subtly crazy then, but that's another story). One account of a "semi-lucid" experience really stayed with me. There's apparently a dream state you can reach wherein you realize you're dreaming, but think that the other person (or persons? I've always imagined it in the singular, but maybe that's just a romanticization) that appears in your dream is in fact real and dreaming too, and you're having a shared dream encounter. I always felt there was something so heartbreaking about it, such a beautiful illusion: the possibility of (unmediated) connection on a (pre/sub) verbal level. And then the profound sadness of the waking realisation - that we're deeply alone.

(Wow, what a downer).

5 Comments:

Blogger Kaiser Gestalt said...

Wow. What a heartbreakingly beautiful/awful illusion/realisation.

But is the reality as bleak as all that? How do get around it?

8:36 PM  
Blogger jermaine noble said...

the limits of metaphysical contact probably seem especially desperate and awful when you're at your most physically alone. which, coincidentally, i am.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous dream meaning said...

How ya doing jermaine noble, Hope you are having a good day. Your this post site is most interesting. I was looking for what dream mean related information when I came across it. Thanks for the read. I have a site that may interest you come and visit sometime, what dream mean thanks again, take care.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous lucid dream said...

Well jermaine noble certainly interesting stuff. I love surfing Blogs! I was looking for dream dictionary stuff and I landed on your page. I was looking more for dream dictionary
info, but was interested in your posts. Keep it up Take care.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous what dream mean said...

Hi jermaine noble it never ceases to amaze me how creative people are, especailly the young ones, gives me hope for the future. Anyway I was looking for information on dream guide and landed on your page. I was looking more for dream guide so this post wasn't an exact match but I enjoyed reading your posts. Take Care. I'll bookmark your blog for future.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home