Sunday, February 13, 2005

Player Haters

Many years ago, when I was young and enthusiastic, I bumped into Benni McCarthy at a Cape Town restaurant. This was shortly after McCarthy's stunning African Cup of Nations performance (in 199?), when he had single-handedly saved SA from an embarrassing early knock-out, taking us as far as the tournament final. I went up to him, pen and paper in hand, and asked for an autograph. He gave me one.

Not a very compelling story, I know. But it's all I've got. The point is, CAF's snubbing of Africa's classiest (and most effective) footballer of 2004 for the African Player of the Year Award - for reasons of dubious politics - is a travesty.

It is with special pride, then, that I announce Benni McCarthy as Hectic Footballer of the Year for 2004.

All you player haters better watch out.
">

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home